Are you suffering from Gingivitis ?
Let us first learn what is actually Gingivitis.
What is Gingivitis ?
Gingivitis is a gum disease which occurs due to improper brushing because of which bacteria start affecting the gums and teeth. The gums may experience redness and swelling. This is not a very serious disease but need to be taken seriously and handled carefully because ignorance of it may cause loss of teeth and other gum diseases.
Symptoms for Gingivitis
Major known symptoms of Gingivitis are :
- Foul breath
- Loose teeth
- Swollen gums
- Decolouration of gums
- Bleeding gums
Cause of Gingivitis
When proper care of mouth is not taken , it causes a layer to form on the teeth , commonly known as plaque . This happens due to the interaction of bacteria present in mouth with sugar and starch present in the food . This can be avoided by taking proper care of teeth and brushing twice a day with dentist recommended toothbrush as well as toothpaste. The longer the plaque stays on the teeth , the more effect it will pose on gums and teeth. The gums will swell up and will start bleeding in some time .
Triggers for Gingivitis :
Many factors may pose a risk of having gingivitis . Some of them are listed below :
- Alcohol intake
- Fluctuation of hormone
- Side effects of medicine
- Any disease like diabetes, HIV/AIDS etc
- Dry mouth
- Nutritional Deficiency
Home Remedies for Gingivitis :
#1: Remedy using Turmeric
- Take some turmeric powder
- Pour few drops of water to it
- Mix Well
- Rub it on your gums
- Leave it for 15 min
- Wash your mouth using warm water
#2: Remedy using Oil Pulling
- Take a spoon full of coconut oil
- Put it in your mouth
- Swish around your mouth for 20 min
- Spit out
- Rinse off your mouth
#3: Remedy using Aloe Vera
- Take a leaf of Aloe Vera
- Cut it with a knife
- Rub it on your gums
- Wait for 15 min
- Rinse off with warm water
#4: Remedy using Cloves
- Take some clove oil
- Rub it with your index finger on your gums
- Wait for 20 min
- Rinse off you mouth
#5: Remedy using Tea Tree Oil
- Take some toothpaste on your toothbrush
- Pour 3-4 drops of Tea tree oil to it
- Brush your teeth
- Repeat this remedy every day
When is there a need to visit a dentist ?
There is always a need to see a dentist whenever one sees the symptoms of gingivitis as ignorance of it at earlier stage of its growth can lead to much serious issue when it becomes too late. So before it goes too late , we must immediately take an appointment with a dentist and go for regular check up to ensure healthiness of mouth . The immediate treatment of gingivitis is preferred because the earlier it comes under control, the earlier more healthy prescription and precautions can be taken for it.
How is Gingivitis treated ?
After you had fixed your appointment with a dentist, you have done half your work. Now begins the task of dentist . He will first of all thoroughly examine your teeth and will clarify and satisfy himself whether it is gingivitis that is actually causing you discomfort or it is something else. After he comes to a conclusion that it is actually gingivitis only then he will prepare himself for its treatment which is carried out by dental cleaning to remove all marks and traces of plaque . Also he will fix all the fillings that is a hurdle for good oral hygiene. After he is done with his work, he will guide you in brushing procedure that you will be following from now onwards and that too seriously and will call you for dental check ups regularly in order to cross check whether he has performed his task well and you are out of the danger and whether you are taking his advice and precautions carefully and strictly or not.
How can Gingivitis be prevented ?
Gingivitis can be prevented by taking some few measures :
- Brush your teeth properly : Take proper care of your teeth by brushing regularly with a good toothpaste and that too twice a day , once early in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Always keep your teeth free from stucked food particles : Use either a tooth pick or a floss to clean out the stucked food particle , which if remain stucked could cause foul breath as well as plaque.
- Always visit your dentist for check up : You need to be very serious about your oral hygiene , so to ensure that you must always visit a dentist for regular dental check up after every 6 months.
- Always use a mouth wash : After taking your meals, you must wash your mouth with a good quality mouth wash preferred by the dentist.
- Quit Smoking : If you smoke a lot , then you must quit it immediately because not only it causes foul breath but also affect your gum and teeth as well.
Do watch out this video on : Severe Gingivitis
Do watch out this video on : Gingivitis Bleeding Gums