Body needs all the components of food to be present in optimum proportion and quantity for maintaining perfect state of health,activity and development.
The important components of food are Carbohydrates,Fats,Proteins,Minerals,Vitamins,Water and Roughage.These all play vital role in maintaining a balanced diet for healthy growth and fitness of the body.
- It constitute three elements: Carbon,Hydrogen and oxygen.
- Daily requirement 500 gms. 1 gm gives 17 KJ of energy.
- The carbohydrates of the food eaten,after being processed in the alimentary canal and liver,are supplied to the tissues mainly as glucose often called blood sugar.
- Sources: 3 main cereals (Wheat,Rice, and Maze),Sugarcane,Milk,Fruits,Honey,Beet etc.
- Excess carbohydrates is stored in the liver in the form of glycogen.
- Provides twice the energy of Carbohydrates- 1 gm provides 37 KJ of energy.
- Acts as the reserve food material because excess fat is stored in the liver and as adipose tissue.
- An enzyme called Lipase digests fats.It breaks down into fatty acid and glycerol.
- Daily requirement :50 gms.
- Made up of Carbon ,Hydrogen,Oxygen and Nitrogen.
- Important for growth and repair of the body.
- Made up of amino acids.
- Kwashiorkar and Marasmus are the diseases which occur due to deficiency of protein.
- Necessary for normal growth ,good health,good vision,proper digestion of the body etc.
- They do not provide energy to our body.
- They can be divided into two categories: Water soluble-Vitamin B complex and C, Fat soluble– Vitamin A D E and K.
- Important in digestion,transportation.excretion and to regulate body temperature.
- Body contains 65% of water.
- Fibrous material present in the cell wall of plants.
- Mainly contains cellulose.
- It doesn’t provide energy but only helps in retaining water in the body.
- One of the common source in Oats, Which we eat in our homes.
- Some elements of minerals are –
Calcium– milk,cereals,cheese,green vegetables.
Sulphur-Many proteins of food.
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication”