Breast infection is the infection that occurs in the tissue of the breast .A bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus enters the breast through the crack in your nipple and causes infection.The infection leads to swelling due to which there is an unwanted pressure on milk ducts which causes lumps and pain in your breasts.
Breast infection is common among women who are engaged in the task of breast feeding.Infection in your breasts doesn’t necessarily signify breast cancer.
Common symptoms of breast infection are:
- Breast pain
- Breast lump
- Flu like symptoms or fever
- Sensation in nipple changes
- Nipple discharge
- Swelling and sensation of warmth in breast tissue
- Breast tenderness or skin redness
Causes of breast infection:
- Cracked nipples
- Blocked milk ducts
- Unclean mouth of infant
- Breast engorgement
- Pressure on milk ducts by wearing tight bra or sleeping on the stomach
Breast infection can be mild or serious.In case of mild infection the symptoms vanishes on its own after some time and the pain and lumps disappear after few days.But if the infection is serious then it might have spread a large way in to the breast causing more serious symptoms and pain.
Treatment for breast infection:
- Self care is mostly needed to treat breast infection.Apply some moist heat to the infected breast at least for 15-20 minutes and four times a day.
- It is advised that the mother should continue with the breast feeding so that the milk ducts do not let milk to accumulate and makes the infection even worse.The infection do not harm the baby as the antibodies kills the harmful bacteria.
- In case of sever infection surgery is an option which is not too difficult and not too expensive as well.
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication/therapy”