Diabetes results from an absolute or relative lack of insulin. There are two types of diabetes, namely type 1 and type 2 In type 1 diabetes, the body produces very little or no insulin whereas in type 2, there is production of insulin but may not be enough or the cells may become insulin resistant.
Causes of Diabetes
Some of the main causes of diabetes are:
- High calorie diet, sedentary lifestyle, obesity
- Overeating of sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Excessive intake of fats and proteins which are transformed into sugar if not burnt out
- And lastly but very important, grief anxiety and stress which have become a part of most individuals
Some home remedies for diabetes
1. Water Therapy:
Water as known to all is the best fluid for our body. It prevents and cures the early adult onset diabetes. Adult-onset diabetes is another adaptive state of severe dehydration of the human body. And only water can rectify the dehydration completely.
The procedure for water therapy:
- Drink about 3-4 glasses of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. Do not eat or drink anything for the next one hour.
- One glass of water should be taken one hour before meals and no water during meals.
- The rest of the quota should be taken at regular intervals throughout the day.
2. Oil Pulling Therapy:
Oil pulling therapy is an ancient therapy that is prescribed by Ayurveda. The oil pulls all mucous, bacteria and toxins from the body through the saliva. According to Ayurveda medicine, mucous is a poison that must be removed. The benefit of this therapy is that it heals the whole body.
Procedure: The oil pulling is done first thing in the morning before brushing. Take one tablespoon of oil (sunflower, sesame or olive oil, preferably cold compressed) in the mouth, do not swallow. Keep the chin tilted up so that the oil gets to the back molars. move the oil slowly in the mouth as in rinsing and swishing. Sip, suck, chomp and pull through the teeth for fifteen to twenty minutes. As the process continues, the oil becomes thin, white and foamy. Then spit it out after 15 to 20 mins and rise the mouth thoroghly with water. After this you can brush normally.This should be followed by drinking 2 to 3 glasses of water.
Note: Worsening of symptoms is an excellent indication that the disease/ ailment is being cured.
3. Some day to day useful vegetables and herbs:
- Almonds: Regular consumption of almonds lowers the risk of diabetes.
- Beans: It stabilises blood sugar, especially rajmaa (kidney beans) it contains boron which maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Bitter gourd: Its juice can be taken in the morning empty stomach.
- Chilli: Daily intake of chilli reduces the amount of insulin required after a meal.
- Curry Leaves: Ten fully grown curry leaves should be eaten in the morning for 3 months, it prevents diabetes due to hereditary factor and also it has weight reducing properties. Liberal amount of curry leaves can be used in chutney and buttermilk.
- Garlic: Garlic lowers the blood sugar level. It gives strength to the pancreas. 2 cloves of raw garlic should be chewed daily, especially in the morning or can be taken along with food.
- Oils of Cinnamon, Holy Basil and Turmeric: Mix 2 drops of cinnamon and one drop each of holy basil and turmeric to 20ml of water.This is one dose It should be taken thrice a day if sugar level is 250 or more, twice if 200 or less and once if 150 or less. It should be discontinued when normal.
- Onion: Liberal amount of onion either raw or cooked is effective.
- Ladies Finger: Take four pieces of ladies fingerand chop it finely.Now add this to a glass of water and soak it overnight. Drink this in the morning before breakfast. The ladies finger if chewed along is good. Keep doing this on a regular basis. Within 2 weeks you will a remarkable reduction in the blood sugar level. In chronic cases it might take a few months. The superior fibre found in the ladies finger helps to stabilise blood sugar as it curbs the rate at which sugar is absorbed from the intestinal tract.
- Soyabean: Liberal use of soyabean is recommended as it gives strength to the pancreas. Soya bean flour can be mixed in the wheat dough for making chappatis.
- Wheat grass: The juice of wheat grass is very healthy and is a cure for a lot of diseases.
- Green Tea: Should be included in our daily diet.
4. Exercise : It is also very important to exercise at least 4 to 5 hours a week. There are certain yoga practices which should be done only under expert guidance.
So these were some of the measures that help in overcoming diabetes. Do share your thoughts or questions with us.