Almond or Badaam is a deciduous tree. The edible seed of the almond is enclosed within a hard shell
like structure. The nut is technically the seed of the almond that we eat. They are off-white in colour covered with a thin brown layer. It is known for its astounding benefits. Fortunately, this mid-summer grown nut is available to us throughout the year.
Almonds are known to be first grown by our primitives. Therefore, this ancient nut is also found in historical texts such as Bible. The Romans referred to almonds as “Greek nut” and are said to be the first to cultivate them. In this post, I will discuss how amazingly this super nut can benefit us.
- Almonds rejuvenate and moisturise the skin. They contain Vitamin E and essential oils which prevents wrinkling and early ageing. You can also use them as a paste with milk to instantly brighten your skin.
- Almond contains Omega fatty acids that stimulates hair growth. Therefore, regular use of almond oil can do wonders to your hair.
- Almonds control diabetes and keeps cancer away.They contain folic acid which reduces the risk of cancer.
- They contain a high amount of monounsaturated fatty acids, protein and fibres which reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- They also help to loose weight. Almonds helps to lower the LDL (Low density lipoprotein) cholesterol or bad cholesterol.
- Almonds possess certain compounds which provide suitable conditions for the growth of bacteria like Bifidobacterium in the intestine. This bacteria helps in the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Nutrients like riboflavin which boosts brain power and longevity are present in almonds. Use of almond oil as a hair oil is said to sharpen memory.
Tips for using almonds
- Either you can consume them raw or they can be added to various dishes and salads
- You can also roast them at home and use them as a quick snack
- Add them in corn flakes or oats for breakfast
- Saute sliced almonds with veggies for a nutritional salad
- Almonds with chicken also provide for a healthy salad
- Avoid blanching almonds as it removes the brown skin and they lose their nutrients
- You can also sprinkle chopped almonds on desserts
- You can also add them to a smoothie to give a nutty flavour
- Use almond oil on your face or for taking off your makeup
- Soak some raw almonds for few hours in water, grind them with milk to make a paste and use it as a face scrub