For strong bones and teeth correct amount of calcium is very important to be present in your meals. One glass milk gives around 40% calcium to a child where as a non-vegetarian child requires 400 to 800 milligrams of calcium. Just drinking milk will not fulfill the proper calcium requirements of your child. Know more about some healthy food items and importance of calcium for your child.
It is true that milk alone cannot satisfy the proper intake of calcium level even if a child is depended only upon milk. At the end of the day storage of calcium is fulfilled by calcium syrups. Calcium is very important for physical and mental growth of a child. Bones contains 99% calcium and 1% calcium is present in blood. Lack of calcium results in a disease called rickets which loosens up the bones making them break down easily.
Why calcium is important for kids?
- For strong bones and teeth.
- Proper circulation of blood in muscles.
- To make the structure of teeth and bones.
- 1% portion of calcium flows in the form of iodized calcium in the body which is important for life.
- Helps in controlling the blood pressure.
Sources of Calcium-
- One glass of milk contains 300 milligram calcium.
- One cup curd contains 300 milligram calcium.
- One glass of orange contains 300 milligram calcium.
- Half cup beans contains 110 milligram calcium.
- Half cup spinach contain 120 milligram calcium.
- Apart from these green vegetables, lentils, almonds, peas,broccoli etc are also rich in calcium.
Requirement of calcium according to age
- From 1 to 3 years- 500 milligrams (approximately 2 glass of milk)
- From 4 to 8 years- 800 milligrams (approximately3 glass of milk)
- From 9 to 18 years- 1300 milligrams (approx. 4 glass of milk)
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication/therapy”