Under eye puffiness, causes and treatment
The skin around the eyes is thin , weak and very sensitive.The most common reason for under eye puffiness can be either lack of sleep or weeping which goes off after some time.Eyes are the mirror of our health.Under eye puffiness can be due to many reasons such as hormones, age, allergy, dehydration or genetics.
Under eye puffiness ranges from mild to severe.In mild cases it disappears after some time or after some treatment done at home.But if it is severe and the symptoms are accompanied by pain,blurry vision or other such condition, then you must consult your optometrist for proper treatment.
Causes of under eye puffiness:
Some of the common causes other than aging and genetics are:
- Alcohol consumption
- Cigarette smoking
- Over/less sleep
- Consumption of excess salt
- Fluid retention due to change in weather
- Sleeping on your back
- Hormonal change
- Diseases which causes under eye puffiness such as- hyperthyroidism,dermatitis,Grave’s disease,mononucleosis or trichinosis.
Treatment for under eye puffiness
- To check fluid retention,sleep on your side with your head slightly elevated on one or two pillows.
- Go to bed early at night, the more you yawn the more fluid retention happens which increases the swelling under your eyes making them puffy in the morning.
- To reduce the swelling use cold compressor, it also improves the blood circulation around your eyes.
- Reduce the quantity of carbohydrate in your diet it reduces water retention.
- Increase intake of Vitamin A,C,E to help preventing the eye puffiness.Massage with Vitamin E oil before going to bed at night and wash your face in the morning, it helps reducing the puffiness under your eyes.
- Mediate and do pranayam or yoga to relieve your mind and body.Stress is a major cause of under eye puffiness. Meditation calms your mind and makes you stress free.
- Soak some cotton pads in chilled milk and place it on your eyelids for at least 20-30 minutes of time.It provides a cooling effect to your eyes and prevents the excess water retention.
- Add few drops of vitamin E oil to a bowl of chilled water.Soak cotton pads in the mixture and place it on your eyelid for atleast 20 minutes, it reduces the swelling under your eyes.
- Take a glass full of chilled water.Take 2-3 spoons, dip them one by one in the water alternatively and place the spoons over each eye for some time while the other spoons still dipped in water.Now switch over to another dipped spoon and repeat the process.
- Take 2-4 chilled green tea bags.Place them one by one over your each eye for 10-15 minutes.The herbal tea has the natural property to reduce the puffiness under eyes.
Drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated as sometimes dehydration is also one of the reason for puffiness under your eyes.For severe symptoms laser techniques are used to reduce the under eye puffiness.Eye lift surgery can also be done where the surgeon removes the extra skin from under your eyes.
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication/therapy”