Eye strain or Asthenopia is a problem which arises due to overworking. Eye strain happen for a temporary period of time. It occurs when your eye concentrate on a particular task for a quite long period of time. The eyes become fatigue and get tired.
Activities such as reading, watching television,sitting in front of computer for hours requires concentration due to which the eye muscles tighten and causes irritation and dryness in eyes.
Main causes of eye strain are:
- Bright lights
- Lack of sleep
- Wrongly prescribed glasses
Symptoms of eye strain:
About 50% of the computer users complain of eye strain.People who used to read a lot or drive long distances tends to develop eye strain very easily.Eye strain symptoms sometimes can be recognized but sometimes they go unrecognized.Some of its sign and symptoms are-
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Eye pain
- Blurred vision
- Back and neck aches
- Eyelid twitch
- Burning sensation
Treatment for eye strain:
- Give rest to your eyes for an hour .It gives relief to your eyes.
- Avoid reading in dark or watching television in dark room.
- Blink your eyes in every 20 seconds of time duration, do not concentrate on one thing for too long without blinking.
- Do not rub your eyes.
- While going out in sun wear sunglasses that will give protection against the harmful ultraviolet light of the sun.
- Place the television and TV screens at the position of your eye level so that you do not have to look down.
- Apart from all these preventions, a healthy diet also plays an important role in treating eye strain symptoms.Vitamin A and beta carotene are good for eyes health and also reduces eye pain and strain.
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication/therapy”