Eyes are the most delicate part of the body.They always need extra care and prevention.If your rub your eyes most of the time in a day and feels frequent itching then it may be the indication of some infection.Itchy eyes is just the sign or symptom, it is not a disease.It may be a symptom of allergy.Sometimes you may also feel burning sensation or water in your eyes
Causes of itchy eyes:
Any type of small object or fly that falls in your eye causes sever itching and water in your eyes.In this situation you should pull your lower eyelid down and invert the upper eyelid to remove the object safely using a cotton stick.
Offensive gases and fluids-
Fluids like acids, vinegar or any other solvents may cause itching in your eyes.They should be removed as soon as possible as it may seriously harm your eyes.Use lukewarm water to wash them off.Exposure to harmful gas or smoke may cause irritation in your eyes.
Non washed eyes-
The thick fat gets accumulated in the inner corner of eyes, if not washed properly.Sweat from hands and face may be one of the reason for itchy eyes.
One of the eyelid disorder called stye (inflammation of the eyelid) can cause eye irritation. Stye is a red colored, painful and looks like a pimple which occurs on the eyelash.It is usually an infection of an oil gland.It may be caused due to makeup or rubbing eyes with unhygienic hands.
Itchy eyes can be due to allergies.People are allergic to variety of elements in the environment such as- pollen,mold,pet’ dander,any type of medication,insect bite(bee bite),cockroaches or chemicals including shampoos, makeup etc.
Some people are also allergic to foods such as fish,egg,wheat, or peanuts which can cause irritation, allergy and itchy eyes.
Home treatment for itchy eyes:
Itching in eyes can range from mild to severe.In mild cases it can be well treated at home.But if you feel continuous, irritable and severe problem in your eyes then you must consult your doctor for better and proper treatment.
- Itchy eyes can be treated by applying cold compressors or ice packs which soothes your eyes and provide instant relief.
- Wash your eyes and face daily with cold chamomile tea.
- Do not rub your eyes every time as it can makes itching more sever and difficult and worsen the condition.
- You can also make eye drop at home by mixing 5 parts of distilled water, 2 parts of organic honey and 1 part of apple cider vinegar.Use it at least once daily.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from pollen and environmental dust.
- Blink frequently and regularly while working in front of computer or reading any book.
- Include omega-3 fatty acids in your diet it prevents eye from drying and thus reduces itching in your eyes.
“The information present here is for general purpose please consult your doctor before taking any medication/therapy”